Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Fall is fleeting

Just a few days ago I posted pics of the beautiful fall colors outside our windows... well, today the mountains are almost brown! The leaves swirled in the gentle breeze today like multicolored snowflakes. It's sad to see them go so fast... fall is, indeed, fleeting. And with it went October and soon November. Next week we go to the beach, then to Kelley's for Thanksgiving (plus a few days in advance for kitchen duty) then home to dust and dash back to the ATL airport to pick up a VIP guest.

I feel as though my Mother is coming to visit (and wish it were so, but she's been gone for 8 years). I've scrubbed both refrigerators, the oven, cabinets, floors, baseboards.... a belated spring cleaning! Yes, the house has been neglected - I'd rather paint any day than clean. Now, I'm paying the price!

Ohhh, but it will be such fun! The VIP guest and I have been friends since 1973 - that's 36 years!!! Longer than some of you are old - including both of my children. She and I were co-workers in Jax, Fl at my first professional job and she taught me the true meaning of "professional". Years later, when I taught high school Home Ec, I told all of my students that everyone should have someone in their life who loved them unconditionally, who lifted them up and told them continuously how "special" they were. This VIP guest is and always has been THAT person for me. I can't wait to see her.. its been 13 years since we've seen each other. But she's the kind of friend you pick up the phone and call several times a year its just like your last conversation was yesterday.

Do you remember the round we sang in Girl Scouts "make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and other gold".... This one is solid gold!

No comments :

Post a Comment