Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Quick and Easy Fresh Apple Cake

Ok, I have to confess. I snuck into the kitchen the other day. I was craving something sweet and knew Bill was as well. I'm feeling so much better and thought just a quick recipe would soothe both of us. This is one that Cousin Carol passed on to me. She makes the most scrumptious coffee cakes and "breakfast cookies". This one is good for brunch, lunch, dessert or snack. It truly is QUICK and easy!  The longer it sits, the denser (is that a word?) and more juicy it gets. I'm giving you my version; Carol's makes a 9-in pan. You KNOW I'm not about to heat up the oven for a pan that small, besides, in my house that would last about a nano second! So, half the recipe if you wish and bake in a 9-inch pan (but you'll be sorry!). If only I had some vanilla ice cream to put on top while it was hot... sigh.... Now I'll go back to "resting" on the sofa. ;)

Quick and Easy Fresh Apple Cake
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups diced apples (don't peel)
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix all ingredients together in large bowl. Pour into greased 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Bake for 45 minutes.

Helen's Note: Since I just had my gall bladder out, I omitted the nuts. If I was adding them, I would lightly toast them before adding. Raisins are optional, too.

No comments :

Post a Comment