Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Chicken in Basil Cream Sauce

This recipe is "adapted" or borrowed (or stolen) from a couple of sources, which tells me it must be good! I love the flavor combinations, so I believe this is definitely a keeper.You could serve it with pasta tossed with olive oil and lemon juice and roasted or steamed broccoli (as pictured). I'll bet leftovers would make a great panini.

It dawned on me today that I need to get to the garden center for basil and other herbs to grow in pots on my porch/deck. Last summer, I placed a huge pot of basil and one of cilantro in the "flower bed" (I use that term lightly!) by the front door. Either is just a step away from my kitchen. The sage is blooming and growing this year already. I have a HUGE rosemary bush that began as a 4-inch pot several years ago. Even if I don't cook with them, I love the aroma of fresh herbs in the yard and in the kitchen. Sometimes I cut them and put them in a vase on the kitchen counter just to smell them. And usually, that inspires me to cook with them sooner or later!


Chicken in Basil Cream Sauce

Adapted from Allrecipes and The Girl Who Ate Everything blog

1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup dry Italian bread crumbs
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
3 tablespoons butter
1 clove garlic (1/2 teaspoon minced)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Place milk and bread crumbs in separate, shallow bowls. Make sure the chicken breasts are thin. Either slice each breast in half horizontally or pound them with a meat mallet to ¼-inch thickness.

Heat butter in a large skillet. Dip chicken in milk, then coat with crumbs. Cook chicken in butter, turning once, until juices run clear (about 10 minutes). Remove and keep warm.

Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds over medium heat. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil over medium-high heat; stir to loosen browned bits.Stir in cream and sun-dried tomatoes; boil and stir for 1 minute. Reduce heat.  Add Parmesan cheese, basil and pepper. Stir sauce and cook until heated through. For a thicker sauce cook it longer. Serve chicken topped with sauce.

No comments :

Post a Comment