Monday, August 6, 2012

Baked Ziti and Summer Veggies

If you have a garden this summer you probably have an abundance of zucchini and yellow summer squash. I've been looking for different squash recipes and came across this one on Pinterest. I thought it sounded good and might be one you could actually get kids to try! What's not to like about lots of cheese, pasta and veggies? Of course, I would double it and bake it in a 9x13-inch baking pan. We love leftovers at our house!

Have you tried Aunt Ruth's Squash Fritters? They are delicious made with yellow squash or zucchini.

In the past week, I've picked 2 - 5 gallon buckets of green beans (thanks to my dear friends, Anna & Fred for growing the garden and letting me pick!), snapped (thanks to Helen J. for helping snap - or break beans as they say in NC) and canned 31 quarts (thanks to my sweet neighbor, Mary, who loaned me her pressure canner and patiently answered 100 questions while I re-learned how to can!). It truly takes a village sometimes! I am very blessed to live in a "village" filled with loving and generous folks! And, next winter, we will have plenty of beans!!!

Don't you love summer veggies??? I do!! I could easily be a vegetarian in summer.

 

Baked Ziti and Summer Veggies

4 ounces uncooked ziti
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups chopped yellow squash
1 cup chopped zucchini
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cups chopped tomato
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried
2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 cup (2 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Cooking spray

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain.
 Preheat oven to 400°.

 Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan. Add squash, zucchini, and onion; sauté 5 minutes. Add tomato and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in pasta, 1/2 cup mozzarella, herbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper.

Combine ricotta, remaining salt, and egg. Stir into pasta mixture. Spoon into an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until bubbly and browned.

No comments :

Post a Comment