Sunday, October 14, 2012

Roasted Butternut Squash with Fresh Sage

Pumpkins, cinnamon, cider, Indian corn, mums and apples! Fall is here! It's a welcome relief from summer and brings it's own special flavors and aromas. Butternut squash is plentiful in local markets along with sweet potatoes. Both taste so much better when fresh and local.

Waaaaayyy back in the dark ages, when I was in college, Mama would make special foods when I went home on the weekend. In fall, my favorites were sweet potatoes and turnip greens
( not cooked together!)  Those were the fall tastes that I craved. And I still enjoy both this time of year!

Now that my taste buds have re-adjusted to American food, they are craving foods of fall. The sage plant in the edge of my herb garden is loaded with leaves, so this recipe seems a natural! It's simple and easy and can also be made with sweet potatoes and rosemary. Give it a try. I think it may become a favorite!





Roasted Butternut Squash with Fresh Sage

1 (3-pound) butternut squash-peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch dice
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
12 sage leaves
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

Preheat the oven to 425°. In a large bowl, toss the butternut squash with the olive oil and sage and season with salt and pepper. Spread the squash on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast in the oven for about 40 minutes, until tender and lightly browned, tossing once half-way through. Transfer to a bowl and serve.

No comments :

Post a Comment