Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Cheesy Ham and Hashbrown Casserole

Today was my annual mammogram as well as the year for a bone density test. So, I scheduled them  mid-afternoon and it turned out to be a sunny day for a drive to the "big" hospital 30 minutes away. Bill went along only because I agreed to go in ample time to visit Home Depot, too. If you have NOT scheduled a mammogram in a year, go immediately to the phone and do it NOW! It can literally save your life. It's not comfortable, but neither is a trip to the dentist and I do that every 6 months without fail.

As we wandered the aisles of Home Depot lined with BBQ grills, I realized how ready I am for grilled food! My mouth watered at the thought of big juicy hamburgers, BBQ ribs, grilled chicken breasts, tzatziki pork..... Oh! Man! Then I heard the weather report for the next week. We will NOT be grilling out anytime soon. Sigh.......

 I realize that winter is the best time for slow cooked foods, warm soups and casseroles. All those things that by next fall, I'll be craving. So, back to the kitchen and the warmth of the oven baking something yummy.

Quick and easy casseroles sprang to mind. But not ones loaded with "cream of" soups. How about ham and potatoes with cheesy sauce? Served with a bowl of green beans (canned last summer from my friend's garden) and a side of applesauce.... yuuum... winter comfort food!

Give this one a try. I think you'll like it! It's also great for brunch.

Cheesy Ham and Hashbrown Casserole
5 eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 cups chopped ham
3 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
1/2 cup chopped onions (I like to saute mine in butter until transparent)
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (shred it yourself, the pre-shredded stuff doesn't melt!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
In a large bowl, beat together eggs and milk. Stir in ham, hash browns, onion and 1 cup cheese.
Pour into prepared dish and bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over top and return to oven until cheese melts. Remove from oven and let set for 5 minutes before serving.


No comments :

Post a Comment