Sunday, August 18, 2013

Peach Ice Cream

Our ice cream maker has been sadly silent this summer. Today I put it to work and it hummed happily churning out a delicious peach ice cream. The South Carolina peaches are from the local market stand and are sweet tart. They are a beautiful color inside and out but not extremely sweet.
The ice cream recipe isn't too sweet either so together they made a lovely crisp, almost sherbert like, ice cream. I've used this same recipe for strawberry ice cream, too. The great thing is it's no cook and  no eggs. Needless to say, it's quick and easy! And yuuuummmyyy!

Now for the surprise ingredient. It is made with buttermilk! Before you squench up your nose and say "ewwwww", let me assure you that had I not told you, you would have probably never guessed it! As a matter of fact, I'm serving it at a luncheon this week and will not reveal until they have tasted. Ok,  if you're reading this and coming to my house, please don't tell! I'll serve Cream Cheese Pound Cake topped with Peach Ice Cream and fresh sliced peaches. Yuuuuuummmmm! I'm betting they love it! And so will you! Give it a try....

Peach Buttermilk Ice Cream
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups smashed peaches ( I used an immersion blender to puree them)
2 cups buttermilk
1 cup sugar
11/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3 cups 1/2 and 1/2

Combine 1/4 cup sugar and peaches. Set aside.

Stir buttermilk and sugar until sugar dissolves. Add remaining ingredients. Stir in peaches. Pour mixture into tabletop ice cream maker. Freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Transfer to freezer container, place in freezer and allow flavors to ripen for 2 hours ( if you can wait that long!).





No comments :

Post a Comment