Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Chewy Granola Bars

More beach food! I made this today for our beach trip (wanna' go with us??). I used old fashion oatmeal. It has bigger oats and makes the bars more chewy. Quick cooking will work just fine. DO NOT use instant!!! Spray a glass measuring cup with Pam before measuring the honey. It will slide right out. I used a bag of mixed dried fruit with whole pieces of apple, apricot, pear etc. I put it all in the food processor and chopped it in large pieces. Use whatever you like... nuts, cranberries, chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, etc just use 2 cups of whatever combination. I used my meat pounder to smash the dough into the pan before cooking and after it came out of the oven. This will help it to stick together and not be as crumbly. You can use a measuring cup to do the same smashing/pressing. Really, do not try to get these out of the pan until they are COLD. (Yes, I tried and it does not work!)
Chewy Granola Bars

4 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips or 2 cups dried fruit, chopped

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease 9x13 inch pan.

In a large mixing bowl combine the oats, flour, baking soda, vanilla, butter or margarine, honey and brown sugar. Stir in the 2 cups assorted chocolate chips, raisins, nuts etc.
Press mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and press down again. Let cool for 10 minutes then cut into bars. Let bars cool completely in pan before removing.

1 comment :

  1. I just found you on facebook and checked out the blog. I love it! What a great recipe for granola bars and without all the added "junk" found in store bought! I will visit often.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete