Sunday, October 9, 2011

Cream Cheese Poundcake

When we first moved to the mountains, I badly wanted a B&B and/or an antique shop. I'm OVER both of those, but I DO love having company! (When I tell you to come to the mtns, I really MEAN it!) Next weekend one of our dearest "couple friends" are coming! I'm sooo excited! There are lots of festivals in the area, leaf color should be at its peak (They live in Florida, so this is really important!) and Ginger and I will paint together. I have no intention of spending the weekend in the kitchen, so, I'm cooking ahead. That way, we can heat and eat! Bill calls leftovers "grab and growl". But, these are not technically leftovers. I started this afternoon by baking a Cream Cheese Poundcake.

Fortunately, this is one of those foods that actually gets better after a couple of days! So, make this ahead and let it sit (wrapped tightly) until guests arrive.
Today, I baked it in 4 medium-size loaf pans. That makes it easier to slice (and toast for breakfast) and I can freeze some of it for later. Usually, I bake it in a plain tube pan. It makes a tall and beautiful cake. I wish we had "smell-a-vision" because our house smells scrumptious! Bake one yourself and see what I mean!
By the way, at age 10 Mama handed me a poundcake recipe and said "Go in the kitchen and bake this while I sew for you." And that, my friends was the beginning......

Cream Cheese Poundcake
Any true Southerner KNOWS that poundcake is one word!

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup margarine, softened (not diet margarine, it has too much water)
1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
3 cups sugar
6 eggs, at room temperature
3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons vanill extract (I add 1/2 teaspoon almond extract)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 10-inch tube pan or 4 (4x8-inch) loaf pans.

Cream butter, margarine and cream cheese in large bowl of electric mixer. Gradually add sugar; beat until light and fluffy (very light yellow color)about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time; beat well after each addition. Add flour to creamed mixture, beat just until flour is no longer visable. Stir in vanilla.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hr and 30 minutes (tube pan) or 1 hr and 10 minutes (small loaf pans). Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack. Store in airtight container or wrap with foil.


Ya'll come to see us!


No comments :

Post a Comment