Sunday, March 4, 2012

Italian Pot Roast

Just when we were enjoying "spring-like" sunshine and warm temperatures, winter blasted through again. We exited church today to find sunshine and snowflakes blowing in gale force winds! What a crazy winter this has been. The good thing about it is that this is perfect weather for comfort food. We ate supper with our dear friends the other night and she shared her recipe with me. I have to pass it along to you because it is perfect for a cold wintry day/night. Anna is my "Southern Ina Gartin". Her table is always beautifully set with linens, crystal, china, silver and a centerpiece (and usually candles) even for a simple meal. In addition, she's an amazing cook and master of pie crust! If I can't live in the Hamptons near Ina, let me live in the mountains near Anna!


 Italian Pot Roast

2T. olive oil
1 (3-4lb.) chuck roast
1 large finely chopped onion
4 cloves minced garlic
1 C dry red wine
1 C beef broth
1 (15oz.) can tomato sauce
2 (6oz.) cans tomato paste
1 t salt
1 t dried basil
1 t sugar
1 t hot sauce
12 oz. uncooked linguine
1/2 c grated parmesan cheese

* See note before starting.

Pour oil into a 6qt. pressure cooker place over medium-high until hot. Add roast and cook until browned on all sides. Remove roast and set aside. Add onion, garlic to cooker and cook, stirring
constantly, until onion is tender. Add red wine and next 7 ingredients, and return roast to cooker.

Cover with lid and seal securely; cook accordingly to pressure cooker for 45 minutes. * See note!!

Cook pasta, serve meat and sauce over drained pasta. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield 6.

Anna's Notes: When I made mine, I browned the meat, following all the directions except for the pressure cooker. I baked mine in the oven until tender. I also did not use the tomato paste. I added 1Tbls. Essence of Provence. It had just a little lavender in it.

No comments :

Post a Comment