Thursday, November 7, 2013

Chicken with Bacon in Wine Sauce

This fall has been extremely busy! I've had company, been company and run up and down the road to Atlanta and back. I've assisted my artist friend with classes, helped teach a class and tried to take one. My DH and I have tried to plan a trip to no avail. This year has simply been too busy!

On busy days ( as well as on not busy ones ) I'm on the lookout for quick and easy recipes with big flavor. This recipe is sort of quick, very easy and once you get it put together, cooks itself while you do other things. I served it with rice ( cooked in the microwave-1cup rice, 2 cups water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1tablespoon butter in a covered dish cooked on HIGH for 5 min, then on 50%power for 15 min) and petite green peas from Publix. That last part is very important as they are the ONLY frozen green peas that I've found that are truly small and petite and not too "green" tasting.  I bought 10 bags on my last trip to Atlanta. The check out lady laughed her head off at my purchase.. Whatever... I'm stocked up for the winter.

The recipe originally called for bone in chicken breasts. I used boneless skinless chicken tenders, but think chicken thighs would also be delicious. If you need to borrow petite green peas, I'll loan you a bag!


 Chicken with Bacon in Wine Sauce

1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 boneless chicken tenders
4 slices bacon, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
12 oz sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup Chardonnay or other white wine
1/2 cup 1/2 and 1/2 or cream
1/4 cup minced parsley
1 tablespoon cornstarch, optional
2 tablespoons cold water, optional

Combine butter and oil in large Dutch oven. Heat over medium; add chicken and cook until chicken is browned but not cooked through. Remove chicken and set aside. Add bacon; cook until the fat is cooked out. Add onion cooking until onion is transparent. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Remove bacon, onion and garlic from pan. Add mushrooms and cook until browned. Return chicken, onion and garlic to pan. Pour wine over mixture, cover tightly and simmer for 15 minutes ( longer if using bone in chicken). Add 1/2 and 1/2, cook uncovered until liquid reduces. Garnish with parsley. If you like thicker sauce, dissolve cornstarch in cold water. Stir into sauce, return to simmer and stir until thickened.

No comments :

Post a Comment