Sunday, December 29, 2013

Apple Cider Waffles

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas with family and friends. We were able to be with all of the Grands as well as our adult children so that made it wonderful for me! I grew up an only child of an only child and always dreamed of a big family gathered around for holidays - the whole Norman Rockwell picture! Granted, we are somewhat dysfunctional (Whose family isn't??) but we love being together for holidays. I especially appreciate my daughter who, although 7+ months pregnant, let us all converge on their house! I promised to prepare the meals and I kept that promise. However, I KNOW she was happy to see us leave to come home! 

Since we got back to the mountain and have had time to decompress from 4 days in Atlanta, take down the tree and sit with feet up and lap full of new MAC, I have been cruising the Internet. I came across this recipe that sounded good. So, since it was cold and rainy and we were very lazy this morning, I made Apple Cider Waffles for Sunday brunch. I made a few changes in the original recipe from the blog where I found it - of course- and we loved them! 

If you don't have apple cider, use apple juice or even milk in its place. The spices are what lend most of the flavor. For Christmas, my sweet daughter gave me batter/dough scoops in 2 sizes. The larger one (also handy for muffin batter) filled each side of my waffle maker perfectly. The recipe made 4 waffles and we ate every morsel! I'd say this one is a keeper!

Apple Cider Waffles
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda (if you use milk in place of cider, omit the soda)
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 egg
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup apple cider

Preheat waffle iron and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
Whisk all dry ingredients together and add egg, melted butter and apple cider. Whisk until well combined.
Pour into waffle iron and bake according to waffle iron instructions. Serve warm with warm maple syrup and butter.


No comments :

Post a Comment