Sunday, February 22, 2009

The JOY of Grandchildren!

Psalm 23:6 "Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."

Today, Feb. 22 is my oldest grandson, Riley's, birthday. He is a "big 8 years old" as he tells me. I can hardly believe it! It must have been just yesterday that he was born and I held him close and told him of all the fun things we would do together... can that REALLY have been 8 years ago??? What a joy these 8 years have been with him. We've played, painted, planted, read, built, cooked, attended Bible school and hugged a lot over those 8 years. This is a child wise beyond his years with a heart that loves everyone. He is a joy and a blessing. He is my "goodness and mercy". He is my buddy!

And since Riley is 8, it means that my Mama died 7 years ago. It was 2 wks after his first birthday that she left us. This is a bittersweet time for me. I rejoice in this small life that brings so much joy and happiness yet a part of me still misses my Mama. There is a part of my heart that still holds her dear and wishes that she could experience the love of this child. I'm sure that she looks down on all of us and watches over our every move. Just as sure as I am that God, our loving Father, watches over each of us every minute of every day.

May our loving God continue to watch over Riley so that we can celebrate many more birthdays with him! Thank you, God, for grandchildren to keep us young and parents to remind us that we are always someone's child. Most of all, that we are all God's children.

1 comment :

  1. Sweet Riley! I talked to him last night and said "I can't believe you're 8, that's OLD!" and He said "No, Dad's Old!" Then he went into full detail about all the games he played at Chuckie Cheese. He is so cute!

    ReplyDelete