Monday, June 1, 2009

Gardening in the mountains

A few weeks ago, I shoveled horse manure while my dear husband ran the gas powered tiller. Does anyone else see something wrong with this picture? Today, while my dear husband was in "town", I shoveled gravel and rocks after hoeing my little garden. Anyone else seeing a pattern here? Need I even mention the words "sore muscles"? Ohhhhhhh my aching arms, back, legs, you name it and it hurts!

In another few weeks (if we're lucky!) I'll have an abundance of veggies and it will all be worth it... and if I keep repeating that all night, maybe I'll fall asleep counting my green beans!

I planted 6 different kinds of tomatoes... several are marked, the others are your best guess! I started off with good intentions... not sure where I strayed. Oh, well. When they turn red, we'll eat them! I know for sure that there is a Mr.Stripy, heirloom variety. The tomatoes are, you guessed it, striped! I'll post a photo of this for sure.

My little garden includes 2 types of eggplant, yellow squash, zucchini, red pepper, yellow pepper, and cucumbers. Oh, yes, bush beans and runner beans. If you're picturing a large flat garden, think again! Reality is a terraced, fenced garden with 4 levels on a sloping hillside.The fence keeps out rabbits, an occasional deer, wild turkey, and bear! Welllll, I guess if the bear REALLY wanted green beans, the fence wouldn't do much to stop him.

No comments :

Post a Comment