Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Pumpkin Muffins


I'm so impressed that my daughter and so many of my "young" friends already have Christmas trees and decorations up, packages wrapped and are ready for Christmas. I, on the other hand, am still in the Thanksgiving/Fall mode. I have dead mums on the porch along with a scarecrow and (fake) pumpkins! I've got to get with it - soon! Meanwhile, I had to have just one batch of my favorite Pumpkin Muffins before we move on to Christmas! Not sure why we can only have these in fall..... they're so good, I could eat them anytime!

Pumpkin Muffins
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1/4 cup cooking oil
1/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Combine dry ingredientsin a medium mixing bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine pumpkin and remaining ingredients. Add pumpkin mixture to dry mixture, stirring just until moist. Spoon batter into greased muffin pans. Bake for 20 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Cool muffins in pans for 5 minutes. Yield: 12 muffins.

Confession time: I left out the egg and applesauce, increased the oil to 1/2 cup and they were still great! If you don't have ww flour, use all all-purpose. If you don't have buttermilk, add 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice to 1/2 cup milk and let stand for 5 minutes. If you don't have pumpkin pie spice, use cinnamon and nutmeg and a pinch of cloves. Where there's a will, there's a way!!

No comments :

Post a Comment