Friday, February 18, 2011

Lemon Yogurt Cake

I had the nicest surprise in the mail today! My young adult friend, Mary (aka Reilly's Mom) sent me not one, but TWO beautiful citrus juicers! When I posted my "wish list" I swear it was NOT a hint! But, what a thoughtful and sweet thing for Mary to do!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I absolutely LOVE them!

This blog is my "baby". For years, I wanted to be a food editor and even applied for the job many years ago in Jacksonville, FL. Needless to say, I didn't get the job, but now I have my very own "newspaper"! And even better, I can publish whatever I want! And I have the sweetest readers!
What more could I ask for? Especially now that I have my new citrus juicers!! ;) So, in honor of my new toy, we have to make this recipe.... and it is sooooo good!!! It has to be, its from Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa!

Lemon Yogurt Cake
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain whole milk yogurt
1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
3 eggs
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (from 2 lemons)
1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper or wax paper. Grease and flour the paper.
Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Set aside. In another bowl, whisk the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure its all incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 cup lemon juice and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.
When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully place on a cooling rack over a baking sheet. While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture over and allow it to soak in. Cool completely. Combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice; pour over the cooled cake. YUUUMMMMMMM!!!

No comments :

Post a Comment