Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Black Walnut Poundcake Recipe


Black walnut is an not acquired taste. I believe you're born either loving it or hating it (much like Auburn and Alabama). Caney, sweet husband of my friend Cheryl, loves it. Not so much so for me, but I am happy to bake for him. You see, my friend is going through round 3 with the "nasty C". She deserves a medal. Caney deserves a cake. So, there you have it! Baked and ready for delivery. I hope it will bring even the smallest smile to his face. And I hope he'll share with Cheryl!


BLACK WALNUT POUND CAKE
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup butter
3 cups sugar
5 eggs
1/2 teaspoon black walnut flavoring
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup evaporated milk
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup chopped black walnuts

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Cream butter and shortening. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well. Add flavoring and beat well. Mix 1/4 cup of flour with nuts. Sift remaining flour with baking powder and add alternately with milk, starting and ending with flour. Fold in floured nuts. DO NOT BEAT.

Bake in greased and floured tube cake pan for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.

No comments :

Post a Comment