Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Zucchini Squares

Some things bear repeating. This recipe is OLD... older than my children, older than many of you reading this.. really OLD! But, it was one of the recipes I "tested" for the GA Dept of Agriculture last month and our 10 yr old grandson thought it was delicious (and he doesn't eat many veggies!) If you'd like, bake this in muffin tins for bite size veggies. Serve it as an appetizer, side dish or snack.

This may be my last month for recipe testing. After 7 years of "testing" recipes from little ladies from south GA farms, it's OK. I can leave this 2 day a month job with no regrets. I'm happy that the reason for my "pink slip" is that the position of Home Economist has been re-instated and a new person hired onsite full time. Its sad when most of your career has been spent in a field that no longer exits outside of a classroom. So,it is a good thing that I will no longer be the "official" recipe tester/Home Economist for the GA Dept of Agriculture. I'm sure the job description for the new person will change dramatically from the one deleted from the state budget 8 years ago, but change is good. And I wish her well. And, of course, I will continue to cook and write!!!



Savory Zucchini Squares
Cut this versatile recipe into small squares for appetizers or larger squares for a side dish or lunch entrée.

3 cups grated zucchini
½ cup finely chopped onions
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
½ teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
1 cup Bisquick baking mix
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine ingredients in large mixing bowl. Stir to mix well. Pour into a greased 9x13-inch baking pan and bake for 25 minutes. Cool and cut into squares. May be served warm, room temperature or cold. Refrigerate leftovers.

No comments :

Post a Comment