Sunday, July 10, 2011

Peach Cobbler postscript

Explaination necessary! Chilton County is a small community about 30 miles south of Birmingham,AL and the "seat" of peach production in Alabama. There is obviously something in the soil or climate that gives the peaches their unique taste. Much like the Vidalia onions of South Georgia that are unique to that area. Of course, I also have wonderful childhood memories of "family outings" to Chilton County (about an hour north of where I grew up in Marion,AL) to pick peaches every summer. Mama (and I) made peach preserves, pickled peaches (from the tiny, red Indian peaches) and froze them for cobblers all winter long. When I close my eyes, I can still call up the smell of the peaches as they were peeled and "worked up", as Mama would call it. The entire kitchen was covered with sticky sweet peach juice as well as our arms down (or up) to our elbows.

No comments :

Post a Comment