Sunday, August 14, 2011

Fresh Tomato Sauce Tips

I got so excited just thinking about the pasta machine (Thanks to encouragement from Pamela Sheldon Johns, my Tuscan friend!), that I forgot to tell you how I made the sauce!

After peeling the tomatoes (Dip them in a pot of boiling water, then in ice water to slip the skins off easily.), I seeded them over a bowl (Like squeezing oranges for juice!). In another bowl, I mushed them up with my hands in order to pick out all the seeds. The seeds make it bitter,besides, I like to play in my food! I strained the tomato peel and seeds to get the juice. Then combined the juice and tomatoes and proceeded with the recipe.

I know this sounds like a lot of work (and it was!) but the tomato sauce turned out rich with a great fresh tomato taste.

You can also make this sauce with canned plum tomatoes! The BEST sauce is made with plum tomatoes, but I used what I had - vine ripened large tomatoes.

Try it! You'll be glad you did!!!!

No comments :

Post a Comment