Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Apple Cider Waffles

* A note of apology for my long absence. I assumed (wrongly) that no one was cooking anymore and just stopped writing and sharing recipes. I have heard from several of you and vow to get back to my "job". Thanks for contacting me; it's always good to hear that there are actually folks out there reading and cooking! 

The winter weather has finally made it's way to us and that makes me crave warm "comfort foods". Breakfast for supper was common on cold winter nights in our house when I was growing up. I still love a crisp hot waffle with a side of scrambled eggs and little sausage links. Yuuummmm! 

This waffle recipe is quick and easy and tasty! I still have apples from the fall harvest and think I will sauté a pan full to spoon over these waffles. I'm sure I can talk the hubby into a dollop of whipped cream to top them off! And viola! We have dessert, too!




Apple Cider Waffles

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 egg
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup apple cider ( or apple juice or milk)

Preheat waffle iron and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
Whisk all dry ingredients together and add egg and apple cider. Whisk until well-combined.
Pour into waffle iron and prepare according to waffle iron instructions.
Remove from waffle iron when baked throughout and serve warm.

Skillet Apples
Melt 4 Tablespoons butter in a large skillet. Add 4 peeled, cored and sliced apples ( Yellow Delicious will cook down nicely, Pink Lady will hold their shape). Stir and cook over medium high heat until caramelized. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, if desired. Serve over waffles, pancakes. as a side dish with pork or over ice cream! 


2 comments :

  1. Those sound delicious! Waffles are one of my "go-to" quick meals. I never thought about using cider instead of milk, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Joy! These are REALLY good! Give them a try either as entree or dessert - or both!

    ReplyDelete