Monday, January 19, 2015

Croissant Blueberry Puff


When you live in the mountains, you naturally have lots of visitors or "houseguests" as I prefer to call them. We are blessed to live in a beautiful place and are always happy to share that blessing with family and friends. This week, we are fortunate to have dear, dear friends who have moved away to take care of an aging mother and have come back to visit with us. Just as in any good "B&B", I believe breakfast is one of the highlights of the day. And certainly important when you have a full day ahead whether it is sightseeing or visiting old friends. 

This recipe is from "The Girl Who Ate Everything" blog via Pinterest. (YES! Pinterest!!!) I have to tell you, we ALL voted it a "keeper"! It is similar to bread pudding (with blueberries), not too sweet, but different from the typical breakfast strata casserole. 

Of course, I made a couple of changes! I actually forgot to buy cream cheese but had 1/2 of an 8-oz pkg in the refrigerator. I used that and we all decided it was just right! I also used 4 croissants as they came in a pkg of 4 and were medium size. I used frozen blueberries, thawed and drained on paper towel. I would make it again and double the recipe for a 9x13-inch pan. This recipe served the 4 of us with no leftovers (it was THAT good!).

Bonus tip: To soften the cream cheese in a hurry, I placed it on top of the drip coffee maker as it brewed! The cream cheese was perfect by the time I was ready for it! 

I've been thinking about a make-ahead method for this. I believe you could cut the croissants and place them in a plastic bag, mix up the liquid and refrigerate then combine all of it along with the blueberries in the morning. I do NOT think this could be completed the night before because the blueberries would run and the mixture would be purple! If anyone tries it, let me know how it turns out. OK??






Photo and recipe from "The Girl Who Ate Everything" blog

Croissant Blueberry Puff

3 large croissants, cut up (about 5 to 5 1/2 cups)
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place croissant pieces in a greased 9- inch square pan. Sprinkle with blueberries.
Beat cream cheese, sugar, eggs and vanilla in medium bowl with electric mixer until well blended. Gradually add milk, beating well after each addition. Pour evenly over croissant pieces. Let stand 20 minutes.
Bake at 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes or until set in center and golden brown. You may want to cover it with foil for the last 10 minutes if the top is getting too brown.


No comments :

Post a Comment