Saturday, January 8, 2011

Garlic-Roasted Cauliflower Recipe

Celebrities have never interested me, BUT if I could sit down at just anyone's dinner table it would most definitely be Ina Garten,The Barefoot Contessa! Imagine my excitement when Kelley gave me the NEW Ina Garten cookbook for my BIG-O birthday! She and I drooled over each page and decided to cook our way through it (seasonally)-much like in the movie Julie and Julia. Tonite was the beginning of what I expect to be a wonderful journey for all of us! I will post the "best of the best" for you!! I will edit as I see fit... and add notes where needed.

This was a longshot, but I am trying to add more veggies to our meals. Tired of boring green beans, I thought this might be just what we needed to perk up a cold winter nite. It is scrumptious!!! Past yummy.. and sooo simple!

Garlic-Roasted Cauliflower
from How Easy is That? by Ina Garten,The Barefoot Contessa

1 whole head (or bulb) of garlic, cloves separated but not peeled
1 LARGE head cauliflower, trimmed and broken into florets
4 1/2 tablespoons good olive oil, divided
Kosher (or sea) salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley (Italian or flat leaf)
3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted (I didn't have these, but it was great without!)
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Bring a small pot of water to a boil and add the garlic cloves. Boil for 15 seconds. Drain, peel, and cut off any brown parts. Cut the largest cloves in half lengthwise.

On a sheet pan, toss the cauliflower with garlic, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Spread the mixture out in a single layer and roast for 20 to 25 minutes, tossing twice, until the cauliflower is tender and the garlic is lightly browned.

Scrape the cauliflower into a large bowl along with the garlic and pan juices. Add the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, parsley, pine nuts and lemon juice. Sprinkle with another 1/2 teaspoon salt, toss well, serve hot or warm. Yield: 6 servings.

Helen's notes: I did not have pine nuts, but it was still delicious without them.
I also did not add the last 1 1/2 tablespoons oil at the end. I did not measure the oil used at the first of the recipe and thought it had enough after it was cooked. Use your judgement! The lemon IS necessary .. it brightens the flavors and finishes it off beautifully. I'm not a big fan of cauliflower, but went back for seconds of this! Enjoy!!

( Uh oh! Sure hope I don't go to jail for posting this recipe! If I do, please bring me chocolate ice cream!)

2 comments :

  1. I love it! I'm going to try this one as well. Sounds Yummy, but everything in her book does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this recipe, I saw it in a magazine somewhere, but couldn't remember all of it. We are trying it right now and are very excited about it!

    ReplyDelete