Saturday, January 7, 2012

Banana Nut Bread

Another sale on bananas! I just couldn't resist an overflowing bag of bananas for $1.49! Never mind that I have several freezer bags full tucked away. After we ate all we could on cereal, I decided to bring out my old favorite Banana Bread recipe. This one is tried and true for almost 25 years!! I won't say "never fail" because if I do that is exactly what will happen! I don't want to jinx you. This bread freezes well so you can make ahead or bake extra to have on hand. My DH (dear husband) loves it covered in whipped cream or slathered in butter. I think it's perfect plain. Add the nuts or not. It's your choice.

Banana Nut Bread
1 stick margarine or butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 bananas, mashed
3/4 cups chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)

Preheat oven to 325 degres.
Cream butter and sugar in large bowl of electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, beating after each addition. Combine flour and baking powder. Stir into batter. Stir in bananas and nuts. Mix well. Pour into a greased loaf pan (9x5-inch). Bake for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs. Loosen edges when bread is done. Cool in pan for 15 minutes. Turn out onto wire rack to cool or serve warm.

Helen's Notes: I squish the bananas with my hands! Of course, I like to play in my food!

1 comment :

  1. Sounds yummy, Helen! I wanted to make this immediately when I saw your recipe. Unfortunately, I had everything except the bananas. Guess who had eaten the last 2! Yep, the last 2! Who eats 2 bananas??? Oh well, guess I will have to run to Publix tomorrow. Sorry...did I say Publix? Oh, I meant grocery store:)

    ReplyDelete