Saturday, January 7, 2012

Oven Rotisserie Chicken

Sometimes I get a taste for rotisserie chicken from Publix Super Markets. Of course, the closest Publix to me is 2 hrs away, so that is not happening on the spur of the moment. I found this recipe that was supposed to go in a slow cooker but I made it in the oven instead. OK,  I forgot to put it in the slow cooker this morning! At 4pm when I remembered it - eeeekkkk!- I threw this together and put it in the oven, uncovered at 400 degrees. By supper time (6-ish for us old folks) it was smelling wonderful, nicely browned and tender. Success! Now, if you want to try it in the slow cooker, I'll add those directions, too. But, I was very satisfied with my ' fake Publix rotisserie chicken".

We've lived in the mountains for 7 years. The first Christmas we were here I stood in the middle of the grocery aisle in Wal Mart and cried. I missed Publix that much. Then I found Ingles, a NC based "Publix look alike". I've learned to "like" them. But, there are still days when I long for my friends at Publix!!! Those guys have the best customer service of any grocery store I've ever been in. They could teach the rest of the retail world a lot!

The first year we were here I ordered 250 postcards from Vista Print. The were pre-printed with a message to Publix that basically said how wonderful it is to live in this beautiful area, BUT how much we all missed Publix. I gave them out to everyone! They hit the desk of the Atlanta VP who I met while working for United Way in Atlanta. He sent me a very nice personal letter that said in essence that they were not coming in this direction! I was crushed and ready to move back to Atlanta!

You already know the end of that story. We are still here. Publix is still 2 hrs away. Ingles is OK. I finally got the meat guys to talk to me and they all 3 actually waved at me this week. I guess that is some progress, although very slow in coming!

Fake Rotisserie Chicken
1 chicken (3 1/2 -4 lbs)
2 tablespoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon red pepper (optional)
1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder (or 3 cloves garlic, minced)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Mix all the spices in a small bowl. Stir in oil to form a paste.
Coat the chicken inside and out with the paste.
Place in a slow cooker, cover and cook at LOW for 6 to 7 hours (or HIGH for 3 1/2 to 4 hours)

OR place chicken in roasting pan and bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour to 1 hr 15 min.

No comments :

Post a Comment